Thursday 7 November 2013

What the Hail



            In the blog post for this week, we have been asked to find an advertisement that is targeted at my own demographic. The link above, which I chose for my ad showcases the “Nike Voices” advertisement; this ad targets females of all ages from young to elderly. As in the Nike slogan is “Just Do It” this ad demonstrates how females are able and capable of being active, no matter of gender, age, race or ability. Females, while maintaining their feminine side, can also be strong, fierce, and passionate about something that may have been previously viewed as a male dominated activity. The ad is promoting how confidence and passion can motivate someone to do their best.

            In the Nike Voices ad, there were multiple ways that I was interpolated into the message of the ad. Sports and athletics have always been a large part of my life.  I connected right away to what the females in the ad were conveying. Nike focuses on the female population in this ad and they are giving motivational reasoning’s to “just do it”. I believe that Nike is encouraging the women population to just believe in themselves and go for something with confidence. O’Shaughnessy (2012, p.189) writes, “We live in a culture that glorifies the individual, encourages us to believe that every person has unique qualities.” Because we are all unique and different I think that the ad is drawing women in and letting them know that with the confidence you can show your individuality and “just do it” and by promoting their product, you can be successful. Being an active participant in many co-ed basketball and baseball teams, I continually had to just show my drive and dedication for the sport in order to get the ball or the bat during the game and equal playing time. Without this passion and drive to just do it for myself I would have gotten nowhere with the sports.

            Ideology also shows up in this ad. O’Shaughnessy (2012, p.184) also says “Ideology is internalized by us. If we accept values... then we carry those ideologies as a part of who we are.” This is saying that if women are not afraid to believe in themselves and they act out with confidence then they can “just do it” despite any limitations that they may feel they have. Having to show my drive and dedication has also helped to change and shape the values that I have now. Having to continually push myself to prove myself to my male counterparts on the court has made me value the hard work I have put into my athletics.

            Personally, in being a female who has been athletic for their entire life, I understand this commercial and it give me more of a drive to just do what needs to be done in any situation that is thrown my way. This is especially when people are in doubt of me, it gives me more of a passion to just do it and prove them wrong.



O’Shaughnessy, Michael, and Jane Stadler. Media and Society. Fifth Edition. South Melbourne, Australia: Oxford, 2012. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment